Re: [css3-fonts] default font features

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:37:15 -0700
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, www-font@w3.org
Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> If CSS 'letter-spacing' is greater than zero, we disable discretionary
> ligatures, because it seems safe to assume that matches the author's
> intent. That behavior could (and I think should) be written into the spec.

I like Adobe's approach to this in InDesign, which is to disable
non-required ligature features if the tracking value is greater than
+22% (expanded spacing) or -8% (condensed spacing) of the width of the
word-space glyph in the font. Knowing this behaviour is very handy for
those of us font developers who use contextual ligating variant glyphs
rather than ligatures per se in our implementation of the <liga> <dlig>
etc. features; it means we can design the overlap of those variants to
handle some amount of expansion or contraction of spacing.

JH