Re: [css3-fonts] default font features

From: Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 23:28:42 -0400
To: Sergey Malkin <sergeym@microsoft.com>
CC: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@google.com>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, "Adam Twardoch (List)" <list.adam@twardoch.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>
On 16/7/12 22:10, Sergey Malkin wrote:

> As I understand, Firefox takes shortcut by interrupting shaping words
> independently, breaking context between them. This definitely can speed
> up layout, but will break highly contextual fonts.

Yes, we're aware of this, and have plans to fix it.

> With many  system fonts getting OpenType treatment in
> Windows8, this will affect lots of Web pages.

Given that "many system fonts [are] getting OpenType treatment", ISTM
the case for having standard OpenType features applied automatically to
all text is growing ever stronger. All those web pages that rely on
system fonts and simple CSS styling (many of them designed before
font-feature properties had even been dreamed of) ought *by default* to
benefit from the OpenType features that are becoming available in the fonts.

JK