[CSS21] Used value versus specified and computed value (position relative)

From: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 15:20:02 -0400

I'm struggling a bit with the understanding of following test:

What is inherited is the computed value, not the used value.

line 25  top: inherit; /* using inheritance to test computed vs. used */

top is 'auto'; top is not 50% and it is not 60px.

1- I do not see the purpose of the div.control in that test

2- div.inner's top property value inherited value is 'auto' which is
resolved as 0; it is not 50%. div.inner's top property used value is 0,
not 60px.

On the other hand, in the following 2 tests:

In relpos-calc-001b, the orange and yellow squares' top and left inherited
values are not 'auto' but '30%'.

In relpos-calc-001b, the yellow square should be perfectly masking,
overlapping the red square.

These 2 tests try to highlight the different meaning of inherited, used,
computed values.

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite