RE: [css3-lists] Where can the counter() function be used?

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 23:41:54 +0000
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>

[Simon Fraser:]

> We recently got a WebKit bug filed that the counter() function didn't work
> in animation-delay; the author was trying something like:
>
> animation-delay: counter() + "s";
>
> So the question is: where can counter() be used?
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-lists/ shows it being used in the content:
> property, but is that the only place? Should the spec say what it's
> applicability is?

Since animation-delay accepts <time> values this would assume counter()
could produce such a value. Hence the ' + "s"' I guess but...where does
the ability to concatenate a string with + come from?

If calc() could cast the result to a user-specified type then I guess
you could conceivably do something like this. What's the use-case?