Re: [css3-values] Disposition of Comments, remaining issues, and moving to CR

(12/07/05 11:06), L. David Baron wrote:
> Bare parens have the following two serious disadvantages:
>
>  * it's harder for somebody reading and trying to understand CSS to
>    search for documentation on them since there's no name to search
>    for (unlike with a functional syntax that allows an author
>    encountering it for the first time to search Google for "CSS
>    calc()"

This seems like a marketing issue and we have a precedent. We have no
problem calling the bare parenthesis after @media "Media Query" and so
we can as well invent a term here that can be used to search for
documentation and such.

>  * they'd prevent the working group from using parentheses in any
>    other contexts in CSS property syntax (though the first point is
>    also an argument against most other possible uses)

My bet is that this is not likely to happen. It's not like CSS is a
fast-changing language so worrying too much about "reserving for the
future" doesn't make much sense to me, and if you want grouping
constructs in the future, we still have [] and <>.

I think calculation is fundamental enough in CSS and it deserves a
special syntax.

Cheers,
Kenny