Re: [css3-break] OM for fragments

On 1/26/12 10:55 AM, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 2012-01-26 10:22 -0800, Alan Stearns wrote:
>> I'm assuming this spec should have an OM section, giving methods for
>> determining how many fragments some content has been broken into, where
>> those fragmentation breaks occur, and which fragmenter a given fragment
>> inhabits.
>
> Why?  What are the use cases for such an API that aren't already
> addressed by existing APIs like getClientRects?

In general I'm thinking of the ability to walk up the node tree from a given
fragment. This is easy to do for non-fragmented content, but less so once
your content is broken through multiple parents. It's the reason why we
added getRegionsByContentNode() to css3-regions.

Is there a definition of getClientRects which works in a paginated view,
where there may be fragments of content not yet displayed? I thought
getClientRects was defined only to give information on the current state of
the viewport.

The use case in css3-regions is for navigation in a paginated view - being
able to find the next region for a given piece of broken content. I could
also see using a script to highlight the relevant portion of a page after a
transition - a momentary flash on the fragmenter or further up the parent
chain to show where the content was continued.

Thanks,

Alan