RE: [css3-images] CSS Gradient Notation

From: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 08:32:37 +0000
To: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
It is my understanding that this was a decided thing long ago.  I sent links to 5 different discussions from the archive that capture the closure from random scattered discussions to resolution to move forward with "to <keyword>" which is the TelCon link that Tab referred to.

That said...

> Another reason that I see _direction to_ notation as wrong is that the
> syntax can not be extended in future and have it make sense. If it was
> possible to have the beginning of the gradient from 'top' and the end of
> the gradient to 'bottom right',
>
>    -----T-----
>    |     \   |
>    |      \  |
>    |       \ |
>    |        \|
>    ---------BR
>
> then having the 'to bottom' instead of 'top' complicate things. You
> could write this,
>       _top to bottom right_

You can easily consider this an extension to today's syntax.

CSS3
[ [ <angle> | to <side-or-corner> ] ,]?
- specify an angle (27deg)
- specify a side (to right)
- specify a corner (to bottom right)
- specify nothing: defaults to "to bottom"

CSS.2015
[ [ <angle> | [ [<side-or-corner>]? to <side-or-corner> ] ] ,]?
- specify an angle (27deg)
- specify a side (to right)
- specify a corner (to bottom right)
- specify a side and corner (top to bottom right)
(and the other 3 flavors of pairings)
- specify nothing: defaults to "to bottom", rendered the same as "top to bottom"

Heck, this also allows <side-or-corner> to change from side/corner to a full <position> if you like.  Isn't that lovely?  With that and calc you can do all kinds of stuff that's better suited for SVG, but have at it.  Lobby for it in CSS > 3 if you like; not sure I'd support the (IMO) gratuitous complexity increase impact on CSS though.

> where the reverse does not make sense.
>      _to bottom from top left_

I don't know how you come to this conclusion, and at the moment I don't have the interest to try to unravel it.

I'm weary of the cyclic discussions that some people seem to enjoy having.

I don't see any evidence of new concerns or unaddressed issues w/r/t the LC in this rehash.