Re: [css3-*] Review of functional syntax in CSS

Well, I thought that was all pretty clear in the first post, but maybe that's just me.

I generally support all these choices. Others need to keep in mind that the parentheses make the value look like a function, but it is not really a function, it is just a way listing and isolating sub-values. We don't need to include all the syntax limitations of some programming languages just because they happen to also use parentheses immediately after a label of some sort when they call or define a function. I am much, much, much more interested in maintaining and improving the readability of CSS (as Tab is suggesting), than in making CSS look more like programming languages like C or JavaScript (which are much less readable in this regard, and less approachable in general for designers).

In a couple of the cases, Tab seems to be extending what the "function" accepts (extra sub-values for rounding and for exclusion shapes), and I think those discussions probably deserve their own threads, rather than getting too far into it here. But I think the approach is right, and I find Tab's and fantasai's arguments convincing.

In 2.1, rgba() and other color functional syntaxes seem right to have commas. Maybe because of #4 below, or maybe because they are just so ingrained that would look odd to me without the commas. I do prefer rect() with no commas.