Re: [css3-writing-modes] A report from a meeting w/Japanese publishing group

From: koba <koba@antenna.co.jp>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:48:09 +0900
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org, MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>

> In vertical text, the element below appears rotated:

> In vertical text, the element below appears upright:

> But I can definitely see how reading the current CSS3 Writing Modes
> spec could lead you to see things as you do, I definitely think the
> explanation could be clearer.

is same as

Then,
"  In vertical writing modes, characters from horizontal-only scripts
are set sideways, i.e. 90° clockwise from their standard orientation in
horizontal text. Characters from vertical scripts are set with their
intrinsic orientation."

horizontal-only
"Scripts that have horizontal, but not vertical, native orientation.
Includes: Latin, Arabic, Hebrew, Devanagari "

Latin alphabet belongs to horizontal-only scrips, the direction is
set as sideways.

You need not to define the direction of latin alphabet by UTR#50,
althogh you have to define horizontal-only scrips more precisely.

Regards,

Tokushige Kobayashi

--
koba <koba@antenna.co.jp>