Re: [CSS4] A way to wrap an arbitrary number of elements

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 17:24:20 -0800
To: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>, Andrés Sanhueza <peroyomaslists@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 1/11/12 2:30 PM, "Alan Stearns" <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 1/11/12 2:22 PM, "Andrés Sanhueza" <peroyomaslists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Does CSS4 have a mechanism to create something like "virtual elements"
>> to wrap an arbitrary number of HTML elements? I believe it may be
>> useful for creating table-like content were an actual HTML table isn't
>> suitable and to not having the need of using random elements to make
>> the role as 'table rows'. An old related discussion:
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Jul/0160.html
>
> Nothing is currently in the works for this. I am collecting requirements for
> additional pseudo-elements and will be adding a wiki ideas page either today
> or tomorrow. Wrapping a range of elements is on my list of things to cover.

The page is now up. So far it includes these possibilities for additional
pseudo-elements:

1. Simple wrapping of a single element
2. Complex wrapping of an element range
3. Complex wrapping of selector range
4. Sibling pseudo-elements
5. Multiple pseudo-elements at a given position

http://wiki.csswg.org/ideas/pseudo-elements

Thanks,

Alan