Re: Forums

10.01.2012, 00:54, "David Singer" <singer@apple.com>:
> On Jan 9, 2012, at 11:47 , Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>
>>> šYou know, there are good reasons to use plain text when it's appropriate (and that's a lot of the time)
>> šAgreed. And if you want plain text email then you can set your mail client to get plain text. I can't set a plain text mail to gain styling though.
>
> I think this is backwards; šif someone sends styled text, such that the style conveys something useful (else why bother?) those reading in plain text lose something. šThat's the only one of the four cases with semantic loss.

BTW, forum engine (proper one that does not exist yet) could convert bold into "*smth*", italic to "_smth_", em dashes to "--", marked-up quotes to ">"-quoted lines, convert links to numbers ("[1]", "[2]", .etc.) with corresponding plain URLs list at the and of email, etc. when sending plain-text copies of original formatted forum-messages by email to those who like read all in plain-text form in their mail client.