Re: Forums

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 14:02:13 -0500
To: Matthew Wilcox <elvendil@gmail.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On 1/5/12 1:55 PM, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> Isn't that a false arguemnt, in two ways?
>
> 1) You can't participate ina discussion offline because you can at
> best only author a comment on what may be old thread content. You're
> not tlaking to anyone, you're composing messages to old content.

Who said anything about participating in discussions offline?  This list
is used for discussions and announcements.  What I often need is the
_result_ of those discussions or the content of those announcements.
And I often need it offline.

> 2) Is it really a big use case for people using the lists that they
> are disconnected from the internet whilst doing www-style work?

It is for me.  Keep in mind that "www-style work" is my full-time job.

> Get the same benefit by subscribing to forum RSS and having that pull
> down to a reader on your machine.

I covered that elsewhere in this thread.

> There is nothing that email is doing that a forum can not also do. Better.

Likewise.

-Boris