Re: [css3-images] Referencing <svg> element directly with element()

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 13:04:33 -0800
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> On further thought, though, I have no idea why I thought I needed to
>> remove the style dependencies in the first place.
>
> Well, there's the minor problem where for a lot of your use cases the style
> behavior is not actually defined.  Certainly for any case when the element
> is not in the document.

Hm, why do you say that?  Inheritance is well-defined even if it's not
in the document; the topmost element is the root, and so 'inherit'
takes initial values; everyone else works normally.

Rendering an SVG paint server shouldn't require any information gained
from being in a displayed document, either.