Re: Proposal to enable -css- prefix on transform and appearance

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:02:21 -0800
Cc: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, "www-style@w3.org Style" <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>

On Feb 23, 2012, at 8:38 , Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:
>> If at all possible, it'd be great to see Mozilla, Opera, Microsoft and
>> Gapple pick up  -css- as a cross-vendor prefix:
>>
>> I'd like to see -css- supported in the next beta releases:
>>
>> The -css-transform family.
>> -css-appearance: none (and I think auto, or inherit, or whatever it is).
>>
>> It requires only minimal effort on the vendor developers, it's a "vendor"
>> prefix, so there are no rules, and we've got good consensus that appearance:
>> none is here to stay, and transform will happen eventually.
>>
>> Thank you for your consideration,
>
> What's the benefit of this?

It was my suggestion for a vendor-neutral pre-release prefix "from by the CSS WG".  I have no strong feelings about whether -css, -draft, or something else is the best.

It would allow vendors to implement, and more, evangelize, and web authors to use, a single prefixed version (quite often) and not have to replicate for every vendor.

David Singer