Re: [css3-images] Image fallback feature's dependency on media fragments

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> -moz-image-rect() is not really generic in Mozilla; it only applies to
> background-image, not to other places images might be used in CSS (most
> notably, 'content').  Extending it to 'content' would be pretty nontrivial.

Presumably it should be identically usable in the other <image>-using
properties besides 'content', right?  That seems like a limitation
imposed solely by the original patch being incomplete, not by the
feature actually being difficult to implement for other properties.

What makes it hard to use in 'content'?

>>> I wouldn't assume that.
>>

>> Can you elaborate?
>
> Well, for example to sanely handle situations where people have lots of
> references the same image with different fragment identifiers (a situation
> that never comes up now) may well require some changes to the image library
> and image cache in Gecko.  That's off the top of my head; it may depend on
> the exact implementation strategy chosen and such of course.
>
> Then again maybe you and I just have different thresholds of "pretty easy"?
>  Mine tends to be counted on hands (ideally no more than one) in
> engineer-days...

It's reasonable that a *good* implementation would take more time.  We
have a similar difficulty. I'm curious what the use-case for
-moz-image-rect() was in the first place, if not precisely what you
describe (lots of references to the same image with different rects).

But you already have implemented the *exact* user-facing behavior that
the #xywh=... fragment has, so at minimum you could just reuse that.