Re: wading into the Prefix morass...

On 22/02/2012 4:25 AM, David Singer wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2012, at 7:51, Alan Gresley<alan@css-class.com>  wrote:

>> Once a browser supports a property that is un-prefixed (like
>> box-shadow or border-radius), it should drop support for it’s
>> prefixed counterpart.
>
> And a whole bunch of pages that used to work, stop working.

No, the pages will still work. Some pages (which should become smaller
over time) may not show box-shadow or border-radius.

Pages that use just box-shadow and border-radius without vendor prefixes
will work just fine.

> What's
> the corresponding benefit?

To allow for CSS standardization to become better. To allow the web
implementation community and testing community to move beyond what I see
as a critical point in it's evolution.

Previous critical points have been in 2008 [1] and 2007 [2].

1. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2008/01/21/compatibility-and-ie8.aspx
2. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/0328.html

--
Alan Gresley