Re: [css3-ui] 'ime-mode' feedback

On 2012/02/20 13:02, Masayuki Nakano wrote:
> First of all, I think that the property should NOT be standardized by
> CSS3-UI. The reason is, it's really Windows specific behavior, it
> doesn't work well on Mac, Linux and mobile platforms.

If I designed a new property for the feature, e.g., "input-mode", the
value should be:

normal | password | disabled | deactive | latest-active | [ latin ||
numeric || hiragana || katakana || Kanji || half-width-kana ||
full-width-latin || full-width-numeric || ...]

* normal: Any IME mode or keyboard layouts are available.
* password: Same as the platform's password field.
* disabled: Native key events are never passed to IME.
* deactive: Composition mode is deactivated but user can activate it.
* latest-active: Activate the composition mode which is the latest mode,
if it's not sure, UA should activate composition mode with preferred
mode of selected keyboard layout or IME. If composition is already
active, does nothing.

Or, when web developers want to activate composition mode, they should
list up preferred modes. UA should try to look for the input mode from
selected IME or keyboard layout. Former specified mode has higher priority.

This property shouldn't change IME, keyboard layout and language. It
shouldn't be available on all platforms except Mac, I guess.

And if UA changes input mode, UA should notify it to the user by popup
or something. If so, user may not feel problem.

It should be applied to text-editable elements and <canvas>. If web
developers can enable IME on <canvas>, it makes possibility for
implementing their own editors.

IE and Firefox should ignore ime-mode if the new property is specified.

--
Masayuki Nakano <masayuki@d-toybox.com>
Manager, Internationalization, Mozilla Japan.