Re: [css3-values] Physical length units

On 19 Feb 2012, at 21:58, Lea Verou wrote:

> On 19/2/12 22:47, Charles Pritchard wrote:
>> For the most part, I'd prefer authors try to stick with "em". We've got a lot of flexibility we're trying to get into design. Many big players fail to test their site with browser zoom.
> I wasn't implying that truemm will replace ems. But when most authors use ems, they still define the root font-size in pixels, and then use ems to increase or decrease it as necessary. That root font-size would be much better off with truemm.

I doubt that, in general. If someone defines the root font-size in truemm, and UAs honour that dimension, is it likely that the content will display satisfactorily for users on both an iPhone and a 30-inch desktop display? (Yes, this has all been discussed to death in previous threads.)

ISTM that very few "normal" web authors - as opposed to in-house designers of device UIs, or book designers creating a specific physical artifact of known size - should ever have occasion to use "true" units.

JK