Re: [css-variables] the new ED for CSS Variables

On 19/2/12 19:45, Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com wrote:
> 19.02.2012, 05:24, "Lea Verou"<leaverou@gmail.com>:
>> On 18/2/12 00:39, Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com wrote:
>>
>>>   I think var- prefix is MUCH more intuitive, appropriate and preferable for CSS variables than data-. Using data- prefix for CSS-variables would be both confusing for authors and harmful for ability to add possible future features like described by Brian (<div data-foo="something">    =>    div{property: data(foo);}).
>> Brian didn't describe a new feature, he just said that authors may
>> confuse data() with something of the sort. Such a feature would be
>> completely redundant, as it offers little benefit (if any) over
>> attr(data-foo).
> Main concern is confuseability of course.
>
> As for the possible future data-attr-access CSS-feature though, with the same result we could say that we don't need element.dataset since we could just use element.getAttribute('data-foo').

If you only care about getting/setting the values or checking if the
attribute exists, that's true. However, dataset is really useful for
iterating over all data- attributes, which would be a bit of a PITA
otherwise.

--
Lea Verou (http://lea.verou.me | @LeaVerou)