Re: [CSS-transforms] rotate(<angle>[, <translation-value>, <translation-value>])

On Feb 18, 2012, at 1:48 PM, Rik Cabanier wrote:

Hi Dirk,

the problem is not technical. It's about what the user expects to happen so this needs input from authors.
The color transition issue that Aryeh mentioned is a good example where simply doing the math will not give the expected results.
Maybe we need the input from more authors. Nevertheless, the described behavior is logical from the math point of view, as well as from the behavior in my eyes. We shouldn't specify possible abstruse assumptions of authors.

But because you are an SVG guy, here is an example with SVG animation:

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
<rect width="100" height="100" fill="green">
    <animateTransform attributeName="transform" type="rotate" to="45 200 200" dur="3s" fill="freeze"/>
</rect>
</svg>

Same situation: no start value specified, but 'to' has three arguments. Compare it in every browser you want (beside IE which doesn't support SMIL), you get the same result in every browser. The rotation starts from rotate(0 0 0) and goes to rotate(45 200 200). And even with  from="0", you still get the same result. I wouldn't expect something different. It would be strange if CSS Animations behaves differently (and against assumptions of authors in my eyes).

I read the new definition of rotate:
specifies a 2D rotation<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-transforms/#RotateDefined> by the angle specified in the parameter about the origin of the element, as defined by thetransform-origin<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-transforms/#transform-origin> property, or a given point as to the origin of the element.
This doesn't sound correct. Are you replacing the transform-origin with the new value?
I was under the impression that it was simply doing the translate(a, b)/rotate/translate(-a,-b). Undoing the transform-origin introduces a lot more math.
No, transform-origin should not get reset. If you interpret it that way, the text needs to clarify it more. The result should be as you would expect: translate(a, b)/rotate/translate(-a,-b).

-Dirk

Rik