Re: [css-variables] the new ED for CSS Variables

17.02.2012, 21:35, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 5:33 AM, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> šI agree, I've said in the past that I think this is the best idea for
>> š"variables" in CSS that I've seen put forward.
>>
>> šMinor editorial type comments on the current state of the draft:
>>
>> šI mentioned this a few months ago, but I would like to reiterate: šI
>> šthink it is definitely worth going to some measure to ensure an
>> šunderstanding of the actual relationship between data properties in
>> šCSS and data properties in HTML as I can easily see confusion here
>> šwith people doing something like:
>>
>> šš š<div data-foo="something">
>>
>> šand then expecting to be able to say:
>>
>> šš šdiv{
>> šš š š š šproperty: šdata(foo);
>> šš š}
>>
>> šOr vice versa.
>
> Naming is still somewhat up in the air. šWe may just change the name
> entirely, to var-* or something. šIf we don't, then I think it would
> be good to add a note saying that it's merely a surface resemblance.

I think var- prefix is MUCH more intuitive, appropriate and preferable for CSS variables than data-. Using data- prefix for CSS-variables would be both confusing for authors and harmful for ability to add possible future features like described by Brian (<div data-foo="something"> => div{property: data(foo);}).

Also, I'm not sure at all that new syntax is really any better than @-syntax proposed initially:

http://disruptive-innovations.com/zoo/cssvariables/