Re: [css3-flexbox] when are margins on flexbox-items computed & subtracted from available space?

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:57:49 -0800
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
CC: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
On 02/17/2012 10:57 AM, Daniel Holbert wrote:
> On 02/16/2012 06:42 AM, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
>  > All flexbox algorithms deal with margin boxes. If it is not
>  > made clear in the algorithm, it may need to say somewhere that
>  > margins, border and padding are added to the preferred size.
> Ok -- thanks for clarifying that. I think that's not particularly clear
> in the current spec (though it makes intuitive sense).

In particular, I think the spec uses "main size" a bit vaguely right
now.  In many places, "main size" refers to the content-box -- but the
flexbox algorithm section seems to use it to refer to the margin-box.  I
think we need to be explicit when we use this term to refer to the

For example: the following text (from Flexbox Layout Algorithm, step
4.2) probably wants to say something like "sum of their margin-box main
sizes" instead of "sum of their main sizes":
Collect as many consecutive flexbox items as possible, starting from the
first item, while keeping the sum of their main size smaller than the
flexbox's available space.