Re: [css3-page][css3-mediaqueries] Page size conflicts

On 2/17/12 5:36 AM, fantasai wrote:
> Currently the spec says the following:
> # If a size property declaration specifies a page size that would
> # cause that declaration to not apply (e.g. a media query that
> # qualifies it applies only to a different paper size) then the
> # declaration must be ignored.

I'm not sure that's enough, as written.  Say we have rules to the
following effect:

1) @page { size: 15cm 15cm; }
2) @media print and (max-width: 20cm) {
      @page { size: 19cm 19cm; }
    }
3) @media print and (min-width: 18cm) {
      @page { size: 25cm 25cm; }
    }

What's the page size?  None of the @page rules immediately cause their
own media queries to stop applying.  However if rule 2 is applied then
the media query in rule 3 matches, which causes rule 2 to stop
applying... or something.

Per the text above, one could argue that the correct width is 15cm, I
guess.  Is that the intent?  If so, it needs to be a lot more clearly
spelled out.

> - we would like the page to be able to express a preferred size
> (or multiple preferred sizes; there was a suggestion to extend
> 'size' to accept a list)
> - we would also like the page to be able to provide layouts for
> multiple sizes

Do we need to allow it to do both?  One option is to always drop @page
size declarations inside an @media that involved width/height...

-Boris