RE: [css3-grid-layout] Renaming implicitly named lines, reverse grid indices

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 06:47:01 +0000
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Phil Cupp <pcupp@microsoft.com>
 From: fantasai [mailto:fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net]
 Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:03 PM

 >     before
 > start + end
 >     after

 The before/after pair isn't used in many places (just a few,
 like caption-side), because so far it hasn't been necessary
 (since only horizontal writing modes existed) and because a
 number of places that need logical directions actually need
 the over/under pair instead.

 But note that if we ever wind up with logical properties,
 before/after will be nearly everywhere top/bottom is now. E.g.
 margin-before/margin-after, etc.

 ~fantasai

BTW, just in case I didn't make it clear earlier, even though I have proposed using before/after for flex-align, I would prefer to keep start/end in both directions of grid-align. Unless we manage to come up with generic align properties, there is nothing to gain by having a different value in one out of six properties of flexbox and grid.

Alex