Re: [cssom] Supporting JS properties whose names are CSS property names on CSSDeclaration objects

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:00:30 -0800
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
> Understood. At a minimum, it would be useful to document that the use of raw
> style property names (e.g., float, font-size) are not sanctioned except in
> the case that the raw style property name matches the defined member name.
>
> It may be useful to go further, and define a specific process that
> normalizes raw style property names to member names that accommodates future
> property definitions. One problem with the current set of style property
> members is that it does not include new properties under development or that
> may be added in the future.

Yes.

The appropriate algorithm is already defines in HTML, and can be
copied for the CSSOM (it's used to convert between data-* attributes
and properties on the dataset object).

We need to switch from a list of properties to a getter/setter/etc.
setup based on the CSS properties that an implementation supports.  I
can help with drafting the IDL for this, since I'm working through the
same issues for the Variables API.