Re: [css3-mediaqueries] DPI in resolution media queries

On 2012/02/15 14:39 (GMT-0500) Boris Zbarsky composed:

> Sylvain Galineau wrote:

>>  Yes, I recall that fun discussion. A CSS pixel is 1/96 of an inch. But if
>>  the UA can't get its CSS pixels right, how can you assume dpi/dpcm works?

> Why are we assuming a UA can't get its CSS pixels right?  Gecko used to
> get them "right" (to the extent that the OS did not lie to us); it just
> wasn't web-compatible.

And now for the sake of compatibility with incompetently designed web sites
induced to be created and kept that way by naive specs and some browsers'
behavior, Gecko's now in lockstep with browsers that have long or always been
incompatible with displays that aren't at 96 device PPI -- and at the same
time that growth of average device PPI is escalating. Such regression is no
fun. :-(

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/