Re: [css3-writing-modes] rename 'text-orientation' initial value to 'mixed-right'

On 02/15/2012 09:13 AM, John Daggett wrote:
> Koji Ishii wrote:
>
>> While I agree that using "normal" works a good CSS default value name,
>> since natural default orientation for vertical text varies by scripts,
>> I have a fear that making it "normal" for this property can be
>> controversial. "mixed-right" or "upright-right" at least try to
>> describe what it does. For this specific property, I prefer value name
>> describing what it does so that we don't have to discuss "normal for
>> who."
>
> In CSS terminology, 'normal' is usually associated with default
> behavior.  It is *not* an assessment of what is "normal" in the general
> sense of the world.

I agree with Koji on this point. I would rather not use 'normal' here
because the behavior is very abnormal for non-vertical writing systems.

> The term 'mixed-right' communicates *very* little, I don't think anyone
> would understand what that means without looking up the definition.  And
> by labeling it something other than 'normal' it's easy to miss that this
> is the default behavior.

It communicates that the orientation is mixed, and that it's related
to the orientation sideways-right: both turn some text 90deg clockwise.

~fantasai