Re: [css3-transforms] translate() vs. translate3d()

From: Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 15:08:47 -0800
Cc: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>, "www-style@w3.org CSS" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>

On Feb 10, 2012, at 7:27 AM, Dirk Schulze wrote:

> Hi Christoph,
>
> I added the two offset arguments for rotate() yesterday. While for Rotate3d you specify a vector to define the aches around you want to rotate the element in 3d space, rotate() defines an offset to the origin. And you rotate the element around this given point. So it is hard to combine both functions and separating makes more sense then.

But why add origin to rotate()? Scale is just as affected by origin. And with scale there is another common idiom:

	rotate(angle) scale(s) rotate(-angle)

This performs a scale around a different axis, effectively doing a skew (and I think it's a more obvious way of doing skew, but that's just me). But I wouldn't want a scaleOrientation parameter on scale().

Adding this seems like a mistake...

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com