[vendor-prefixes] Distinction between proprietary and experimental features

From: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 23:10:09 +0200
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
I was just reading Remy Sharp’s post on vendor prefixes [1] and it made me realize one more issue with the current vendor prefixes system.

Quoting him:
> I honestly can't tell what's a real property from the CSS specs compared to something made up by the vendor (from what I can tell webkit-text-size-adjust is one of those examples)

*This is an important distinction*. Experimental implementations of ED/WD features should be obviously different than proprietary features like -webkit-box-reflect. Many developers *do* care about standards. They want to help implementors and the W3C by testing out early drafts. They don't want to encourage "cowboy implementors", i.e. UAs implementing whatever they come up with without any standardization attempt. But they can't tell the difference. Especially since so many websites promote these things as part of CSS3 [2].

[1]: http://remysharp.com/2012/02/09/vendor-prefixes-about-to-go-south/
[2]: http://css3clickchart.com/#text-stroke

--
Lea Verou (http://lea.verou.me | @LeaVerou)