Re: [css3-transforms] Why do we need a 'perspective' property?

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
> [Please don't cc: people who are on www-style anyway]

[I don't know who's on www-style, and personally I prefer to be CCd
even if I'm on the list.  Is there an established convention here?]

> The point of the perspective property is to provide a common perspective
> for child elements (and, if you're in a 3d rendering context, for all members
> of that context). This is especially useful if the children have different x/y offsets
> due to normal CSS layout; they'll still share a common perspective origin.
>
> This avoids the need to have multiple transformed elements all specify
> perspective() in their transforms, with possibly different perspective origins.

Okay; so what's wrong with

instead of

?  Is it just that they work differently if you use transform-style:
flat?  That just makes me think transform-style: flat should go away
even more -- we could get rid of three out of the four properties that
3D transforms add.