[css3-text] Justification and aligning fullwidth+halfwidth chars

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 08:32:07 -0500
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
This is CSS ISSUE-98[1], raised at Tokyo F2F in 2009.

I don't think this issue is something we need to support in CSS3 Text for the following reasons:

1. The rule "half-width characters having exactly half width of full-width characters" is gradually broken and forgotten. It used to be an issue, but it's gradually disappearing.
2. People who really want to align half-width and full-width use left-align instead of justification.

I posted this opinion to Japanese ML one month ago[2] and got no response as of today. I posted reminder again[3] just in case people missed the post, and also to a few Japanese MLs where web authors/users might subscribe to.

I'd like to propose to watch responses for a few more days, and then close this issue without adding anything to the CSS3 Text spec.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Tracker/issues/98
[2] (Japanese) http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-ig-jp/2012Jan/0000.html
[3] (Japanese) http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-ig-jp/2012Feb/0001.html

Regards,