Re: :hover and :active interaction with labels

On 01/31/2012 03:55 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2011, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>>
>> On 12/14/11 6:29 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> Can't that be explained by native styling rules? Or indeed, styling rules
>>> in the binding?
>>
>> I don't quite see how.
>>
>>> Hmm. I guess we can spec it that way too, but that seems a bit awkward
>>> (not to mention technically not being consistent with Selectors'
>>> definitions...).
>>
>> I don't much care which spec this is handled in.
>
> Upon further investigation, I agree with your assertion that this has to
> be part of :hover's definition.
>
> Specifically:
>
>     http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/saved/1315
>     http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/saved/1316
>     http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/saved/1317
>
> ...it seems :hover should be defined, at least for HTML's purposes, as
> working as follows:
>
> : An element matches :hover if:
> :
> :  - It is designated by a pointing device, or
> :  - Any of its descendants are designated by a pointing device, or
> :  - It is the "labeled control" of a<label>  element that matches :hover.
>
> Like Boris, I don't mind where this is specced, but we should spec it
> somewhere. Is the Selectors spec able to spec this?

Technically, yes, but I think it's a bit out of scope for Selectors to
specify HTML-element-specific behavior. Is it very specific to :hover?
What about other user actions? Do they transfer through <label> to its
control? E.g. focus or clicking or drag'n'dropping?

~fantasai