Re: [css-variables] Different syntax for variable definition and use

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 19:34:46 +0200
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Chris Eppstein" <chris@eppsteins.net>
Cc: "Brian Kardell" <bkardell@gmail.com>, "Jens O. Meiert" <jens@meiert.com>, <www-style@w3.org>

|  Reading normal properties off of yourself is
|  completely out, at least generally (doing it for *some* properties
|  might be okay, but it locks us in to never introducing connections
|  between those properties).

Tab, I addressed this issue a °ton° of times already... The specified value
of a property don't depend on any other property value than the one
specified in the CSS file. There's no hidden inderdepency there, and it
covers all use cases we need.

Objectively, there's nothing preventing from using the specified value of
any property as a token source for any other property, just as you do with
custom properties.