Re: [css3-exclusions] Use <funcIRI> instead of <uri> on path referencing

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 12:43:45 -0700
To: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
> On Aug 28, 2012, at 8:52 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:50 AM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The CSS Exclusions specification uses <uri> to reference SVG shapes[1]. This should be changed to <funcIRI>, to be consistent with SVG and Filter Effects.
>>
>> It should actually be using <url>, as that's the name defined in CSS3
>> Values (we've been inconsistent in the past about which name to use).
>>
>> SVG's <funcIRI> is identical to CSS's <url>, except more confusingly named. ^_^
> No, <url> takes an <URI> as input [1], <FuncIRI> takes an <IRI>[2] as input. <URI> is a subset of <IRI> and SVG (even in the current WD) requires IRI support. Even so they can be converted to each other. Furthermore SVG1.2T has the following sentence: "Other W3C specifications are expected to be revised over time to remove these duplicate descriptions of the escaping procedure and to refer to IRI directly."

The differences between a URL, URI, and IRI as defined by the various
standards bodies are irrelevant to authors.  CSS doesn't care - it
takes whatever browsers choose to accept as a "url".  The grammar of
url() is basically just "url(, then anything that's not a )
character", which encompasses all of the various silly terms.  We just
use the "<url>" grammar token for it, because that's the term most
familiar to authors.