Re: [css3-exclusions] Use <funcIRI> instead of <uri> on path referencing

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 11:50:01 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

On Aug 28, 2012, at 8:52 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:50 AM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The CSS Exclusions specification uses <uri> to reference SVG shapes[1]. This should be changed to <funcIRI>, to be consistent with SVG and Filter Effects.
>
> It should actually be using <url>, as that's the name defined in CSS3
> Values (we've been inconsistent in the past about which name to use).
>
> SVG's <funcIRI> is identical to CSS's <url>, except more confusingly named. ^_^
No, <url> takes an <URI> as input [1], <FuncIRI> takes an <IRI>[2] as input. <URI> is a subset of <IRI> and SVG (even in the current WD) requires IRI support. Even so they can be converted to each other. Furthermore SVG1.2T has the following sentence: "Other W3C specifications are expected to be revised over time to remove these duplicate descriptions of the escaping procedure and to refer to IRI directly."

Greetings,
Dirk

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/REC-CSS2-20110607/syndata.html#uri
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/linking.html#IRIReference