Re: [css-variables] How to spec the OM for vars?

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 17:58:04 +0800
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org
On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 8/24/12 2:46 AM, Glenn Adams wrote:
>
>> I refer again to the spec maintenance problem of introducing a never
>> ending series of partial interfaces on CSSStyleDeclaration. You don't
>> seem to think that's bad, but as a spec writer, I think it should be
>> avoided if at all possible.
>>

> Given that people keep wanting to come up with a better object model for
> CSS, one where things are exposed as something property-specific and not
> just a string, it seems like we'll end up there anyway in the end.
>
> That said, we could have some global language about the partial interfaces
> being implied when a property is implemented, if desired...

My preference is to retain the explicit property attributes for the
existing, legacy usage coming from CSS2Properties and use generic prose on
g/s to handle new properties beyond CSS2Properties (as well as variables).
I realize this creates an asymmetry of a sort but we need to both serve
legacy needs (aka CSS2Properties) and serve future extensibility needs
(which I believe drives towards using g/s).