Re: [media-queries] and Ambient Light Sensor API

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:49:42 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 8:59 AM, François REMY wrote:
>
>> Meanwhile, in his experiment, Microsoft concluded 3 levels were useful
>> for
>> light-aware applications: dim, normal and washed.
>
> That seems reasonably convincing.  Okay, I accept the usefulness of
> three light levels.

I think I'm with you now. On top of that, I wonder if we could kill
two birds with one stone. Microsoft has an experimental media query, used
for accessibility reasons, that lets the site know it should switch to high
contrast mode. I think that the behavior desired in that case is pretty
similar to the one you want in what you called 'washed'.

If we name and document things correctly, I think we only need one media
query here to serve both the use case of adaptability to ambient light
and high contrast for accessibility's sake.

  - Florian