Re: [cssom-view] value of scrollLeft in RTL situations is completely busted across browsers

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 06:52:52 +0800
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>, www-style@gtalbot.org, www-style <www-style@w3.org>, Shane Stephens <shans@google.com>, ML publc-i18n-bidi <public-i18n-bidi@w3.org>
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> For the behavior of scrollLeft, we are currently at a bit of an impasse.
> The "data" I presented was bogus; all those libraries use pageXOffset, not
> scrollLeft. For scrollLeft, Sylvain wants IE's behavior, Glenn and Shane
> want the Firefox/Opera/Webkit(viewport) behavior (matching pageXOffset).
> Glenn and Shane being the CSSOM editors, can I assume they're the victors?
> I'm not sure what process we're following here :-).

on the last process issue, we editors serve at the behest of the WG, so
what emerges as consensus there should be what goes into the spec

my current preference is to treat scrollLeft in terms of absolute
(physical) direction, not logical, and to introduce new
method(s)/attributes as needed to adequately support other writing modes
using logical names, and, for the record, I oppose changing the
before/after logical pair (names well established in XSL-FO usage where
writing mode has already been fairly well addressed) to the newly proposed
head/foot names