Re: [selectors4] Specificity in base 256

From: Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 16:32:54 +0300
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> The spec is completely clear.  The behavior exhibited by the browsers
> is a bug.  However, it's also a completely unimportant bug that no one
> will ever run into unless they are specifically trying to test for it,
> or they're doing something *really* messed up with automated selector
> generation. I would be completely fine with declaring any bugs filed
> against WebKit about this as WONTFIX, because doing it "right" will
> likely slow down selector matching (by making specificity sorting
> slower) by an appreciable amount.

However, this means that we know there are not two interoperable
implementations of this part of CSS 4 Selectors, so it shouldn't be
able to progress to PR.  Since browsers all behave the same, it makes
the most sense to just spec what browsers do, and add a test.  I don't
see any justification for keeping the spec as-is except if you think
that the spec should be theoretically pure rather than matching
implementations.