Re: [css3-break] defining forced break behavior in non-fragmented contexts

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 09:14:51 -0700
To: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 7:37 AM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
> The fragmentation module describes how forced breaks operate in a
> fragmented flow, but I do not think it makes clear what happens with
> forced breaks in non-fragmented contexts. I am assuming that
> break-before:page has no effect if the flow is not paginated. And that
> break-before:column has no effect if the flow is not in a multi-column
> element (but see below). If this is correct, this should be made explicit
> in the module.
>
> I would like break-before:column to create a break in a single-column,
> paginated flow. Pagination creates columns of text, so it makes sense to
> me to honor an author's intent to place something at the top of a column
> by placing it at the top of a page. I know this suggestion was not
> well-received the last time I brought this up, but I'm still unclear on
> why.

fantasai and I talked about this while writing the (now informative)
rules for breaking a flexbox.

One of our ideas was that breaks would flow up the descendant tree
until they found a matching fragmenter to apply to.  The top-level
container is a page, which accepts all breaks.  It sounds like this
would address your use-case.