[css3-break] defining forced break behavior in non-fragmented contexts

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 07:37:03 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
The fragmentation module describes how forced breaks operate in a
fragmented flow, but I do not think it makes clear what happens with
forced breaks in non-fragmented contexts. I am assuming that
break-before:page has no effect if the flow is not paginated. And that
break-before:column has no effect if the flow is not in a multi-column
element (but see below). If this is correct, this should be made explicit
in the module.

I would like break-before:column to create a break in a single-column,
paginated flow. Pagination creates columns of text, so it makes sense to
me to honor an author's intent to place something at the top of a column
by placing it at the top of a page. I know this suggestion was not
well-received the last time I brought this up, but I'm still unclear on
why.

Thanks,

Alan