Re: [css4-images] First draft of css4-images, feedback requested

From: Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 16:25:48 +0200
To: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

>  I don't think this would work out well, for 2 reasons.
>
> 1) You want to decide which image to download based on their resolution.
> If you need to download them first, we have a bit of a loop here, which
> will result in wasted bandwidth.

There will be some wasting of bandwidth, yes. Though normally not the whole
file has to be downloaded to get this information but just the header/meta
data.

2) A lot of images contain resolution information that is wrong for what we
> want to do with them, or just arbitrary (72dpi?), using while not including
> the resolution would be tempting due to simpler syntax, it would do the
> wrong thing most of the time.

image-set() is used for resolution negotiation. So I assume people were
already thinking about providing different resolutions of an image when
using this function. Though if you feel this could be ambiguous, then we
could keep it required but allow the from-image keyword as it is used for
image-resolution.

Not allowing to read the resolution from the images themselves will render
the from-image value of image-resolution useless for image-set()s, no?

Sebastian