Re: [css4-images] First draft of css4-images, feedback requested

From: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 15:29:25 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 07:57:51 +0200, Sebastian Zartner
<sebastianzartner@gmail.com> wrote:

> Furthermore providing a resolution for images inside image-set() should
> be optional to allow using the resolution of the image's metadata.

I don't think this would work out well, for 2 reasons.

1) You want to decide which image to download based on their resolution.
If you need to download them first, we have a bit of a loop here, which
will result in wasted bandwidth.

2) A lot of images contain resolution information that is wrong for what
we want to do with them, or just arbitrary (72dpi?), using while not
including the resolution would be tempting due to simpler syntax, it would
do the wrong thing most of the time.