Re: Region overflow proposal

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 4:00 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 2012-08-07 15:49 +1200, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> > Some restriction is needed to make sure the region boxes for an element
> are
> > all of the same type. For example, 'display' changes in ::nth-region()
> > definitely shouldn't be allowed.
>
> I originally thought 'display' changes shouldn't be allowed.  And
> then I couldn't figure out why it should really be a problem.

Hmm, I suppose it *might* work, if you put the element's children into a
series of anonymous block boxes and make those block boxes be children of
the actual region boxes. I'm pretty sure we don't want content flowing
directly from an inline container into a block container or vice versa.

(Maybe anonymous box generation is, though.)

Yes, for example I think resolving table anonymous box generation during
layout would be hard. Handling block-in-inline splitting during layout
would also be hard.

> Though it might be a
> good bit of extra work for no real gain.  (Though 'float' and
> 'position' changes seem likely to have some real use cases.)

Right. They should definitely be allowed; the only issue is if they cause a
box to change from being a block to not-a-block.

Rob
than others?" [Matthew 5:43-47]