Re: Region overflow proposal

From: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 11:25:22 +0200
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 05:49:15 +0200, Robert O'Callahan
<robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> Cool!
>
> Some restriction is needed to make sure the region boxes for an element
> are
> all of the same type. For example, 'display' changes in ::nth-region()
> definitely shouldn't be allowed.

There is definitely a fair amount of complexity involved in allowing this,
but I think it would make this system so much more expressive that
we should try and work it out.

Recently, we've been looking at solving pretty complex layouts
such as those as seen in magazines, and although we have a number
of new tools in preparation, they remain quite challenging.

If we make this mechanism work without the restriction you're proposing,
I believe it will go a long way helping us solve these advanced layouts.

  - Florian