Re: [css3-conditional] value of CSSSupportsRule.conditionText

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr.:
>> Actually, it'll still work even if we do make it apply to selectors in
>> the future.  The only problem is reserializing, which is easy to
>> detect and insert an empty comment for, as I proposed.
>
> But it doesn't work if you want to allow selectors (or other syntax
> sensitive to a lack of white space between tokens) inside the supports
> condition.  For example with a hypothetical:
>
>   @supports (foopy: select(#a/**/.b/**/)) { ... }
>
> There's no way to know that the comment before the "." needs to be preserved
> while the one after the "b" can be dropped, if your UA doesn't implement
> foopy.  So we would need to preserve all comments within the property value
> parts of the supports condition, at least.

Ah, yes, I see.  You can only trigger the special "insert a comment"
rule if you know that you're in a selector context, and we'd like to
avoid requiring that knowledge.

Okay, then yeah, comments will need to be preserved (at least the
presence of them, though not their contents), unless we change the
rule that allows comments there in the first place. ^_^