W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > August 2012

Re: [css3-grid-layout] Suggestions for terminology amendments

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 17:13:35 +0200
Message-ID: <C44EF0E05AA54E7F9F265BA828DF84F2@FREMYD2>
To: "Mark Boulton" <mark@markboulton.co.uk>, <www-style@w3.org>
At this point of time, the CSS Grid specification doesn't have a concept of 
module at all. Therefore, I think that most concepts based on the module 
definition don't apply to it.

The addition of a module-based layout option for the CSS Grid specification 
can (and should) be considerated for further revisions of the specification 
as it cover some layouts that are currently not optimally covered by CSS 
Grids (consistent spacing between columns in an automatically layouted grid 
is a good example of this). Meanwhile, in order to allow this specification 
to hit browsers as soon as possible, I would prefer if this addition could 
be discussed as part of CSS Grid Level 2 instead of Level 1.

However, based on your mail, I think we can do a better job in following the 
existing naming conventions :

    - Grid Lines   should be called   Grid Gutters
    - Grid Cells   should be called   Grid Fields

Grid Rows and Grid Columns are by definition running the full height/width 
of the grid, which explains their name.

-----Message d'origine----- 
From: Mark Boulton
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 3:29 PM
To: www-style@w3.org
Subject: [css3-grid-layout] Suggestions for terminology amendments

In reference to: 

I'm confused as to the need to invent new terminology with regards to grids 
that have existed for centuries. I'm also a little concerned that the mental 
model this terminology builds is one more similar to tables and spreadsheets 
(where these terms could be interchangeable) than to grids and layout.

Specifically on the terminology:

- Grid Lines are known as Gutters.
- Grid Cells are known as Modules (or Units – the term is interchangeable). 
They represent the smallest building block of the grid.
- Combinations of modules vertically are Columns *if* they run the full 
height of the grid.
- Combinations of modules horizontally are Rows *if* they run the full width 
of the grid
- Combinations of modules both vertically and horizontally are Fields.

There's a lot of great stuff in this draft, but some of the theory of 
designing grids has been around for centuries. If we could start to align 
CSS with existing terminology, and existing mental models of how layout is 
designed, then all the better.

Just a thought…

For more information on this, I wrote a blog post last year that expands on 
some of this thinking: 

Thanks for your time and consideration,
Mark Boulton
Received on Thursday, 2 August 2012 15:13:59 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 2 May 2016 14:39:02 UTC