Re: [css3-sizing] fill-available in block direction and infinite size

On 08/01/2012 12:36 AM, François REMY wrote:
> Given the definition of available size:
>
>     *available size*
>         The space into which a box is laid out, typically either a measurement of its /containing block/ or an infinite size.
>
> and the definition of fill-available (extent):
>
>     *fill-available extent*
>         Roughly, the extent a box would take if it filled its /available extent/
>         <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-sizing/#available-size>.
>
> I’m asking myself the question: what should be the size of a BODY whose height is set to fill-available? Infinite? How can we
> deal with this?
> I propose to modify the definition of available size to state something like:
>
>     *available size*
>         The space into which a box is laid out, typically either a measurement of its /containing block/ or of the /viewport
>         height/ if it is infinitely sized.
>
> As such, in the example I propose, BODY would have a 100vh height.
> What do you think of it?

The definition is marked "roughly" for a reason. :) The actual fill-available
height is defined in the section marked Extrinsic Sizing. In general, the
section up front is only rough definitions to give an idea of the concept,
because defining each term in full requires a section or three of prose.

~fantasai