RE: [css3-flexbox] flexbox algorithm and writing modes

See below

Steve Z.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Mogilevsky [mailto:alexmog@microsoft.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:47 PM
To: Tab Atkins Jr.
Cc: fantasai; www-style@w3.org
Subject: RE: [css3-flexbox] flexbox algorithm and writing modes

± From: Tab Atkins Jr. [mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com] ± Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:24 PM ± ± > Fallback of "treat 'baseline' as 'center'" made sense in old spec ± that didn't have per-item alignment and wasn't writing-mode friendly ± either. Now baseline alignment simply always works...
±
± No, baseline still doesn't work if the item's baseline is ± perpendicular to the main axis.  What can it align with?  This is ± guaranteed to happen if you use a column flexbox and the items have ± the same writing mode as the flexbox.  This is the *normal* case for ± column flexboxes.  ^_^

If there was a baseline from vertical text, it would make sense to align the "after" edge of content box with the baseline - that's what would happen in text, right?
SZ: this is what happens in horizontal text, but for vertical text, centering the box makes more sense. I, at least, have not seen examples of how this would be treated in East Asian text. The current default was based on Western examples.

If there is no vertical text, there is no clear way to decide where is "after", so I guess center is a better choice.

But if there is a baseline, let's say horizontal to make it simpler, we will put images on the baseline, right?