RE: [css3-flexbox] flexbox algorithm and writing modes

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 01:46:48 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
± From: Tab Atkins Jr. [mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com]
± Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:24 PM
±
± > Fallback of "treat 'baseline' as 'center'" made sense in old spec
± that didn't have per-item alignment and wasn't writing-mode friendly
± either. Now baseline alignment simply always works...
±
± No, baseline still doesn't work if the item's baseline is
± perpendicular to the main axis.  What can it align with?  This is
± guaranteed to happen if you use a column flexbox and the items have
± the same writing mode as the flexbox.  This is the *normal* case for
± column flexboxes.  ^_^

If there was a baseline from vertical text, it would make sense to align the "after" edge of content box with the baseline - that's what would happen in text, right?

If there is no vertical text, there is no clear way to decide where is "after", so I guess center is a better choice.

But if there is a baseline, let's say horizontal to make it simpler, we will put images on the baseline, right?